Tuesday, June 19, 2012

D-I-Y Superhero Felt Masks



Felt Superhero Masks


The great thing about felt masks are #1 inexpensive , #2 can be made in a variety of ways, & #3 soft enough to use around the delicate kid/baby face :]. If I would have had the time & extra money I would have definately made the masks out of material but I was going for inexpensive due to it was just a birthday party (LOL). I will put the tutorial up for the material masks when I make the one my son wants for actual play. Also, the great thing about making the masks & capes is they are a great party favor the kids get to keep ! So on with the show.

~Supplies Needed~
1. Felt ( what ever color theme you are going for)
2. Matching Thread or Glue
3. Scissors
4. Marker
5.Elastic


First Start by making or printing a mask template, I just free handed mine. I say "I" let me rephrase my daughter has a LOVE for art & drawing I had her draw up most of everything :]. You must make 2 templates. After I was done drawing the bottom mask I took the template & cut it down smaller to make the top mask. I took our template, felt & markers and drew them out.
~Draw Them Out ~
(Red was the bottom bigger mask , Yellow was the top smaller mask)

Please forgive the aweful uneveness, I wasn't going for perfection on these I was going for quickness.(unfortunately this has been the week of sickness & tragedy in our household, everyone has had a stomach virus & strep throat along with a black eye & motorcycle burn :/)  If you have the time you can make them look great !  Now onto the next step ....
~Cutting Them Out~

Now to assemble these bad boys !  You can do this however you choose, thats the glory of this project :]. If you like to sew (as I do), you can sew these masks together, BUT i must warn you felt is a little tricky to sew as I found out. If you are going to sew these together on a machine you MUST pin them down & GO SLOW the felt will bubble up & move around if you don't. This is why they charge so much LOL. You can also fill the top layer with a lil bit of polyfil if you choose (just make sure to cut the top layer the same size as the bottom layer to account for stuffing) .If you want to add a little something to them you can do different stitches for added flair. then measure out the elastic on the little ones head make it snug then cut all the pieces you will need and sew on.  If you want to do a NO-SEW you just simply glue them together with craft glue or hot glue either one. Then take a hole punch to each side to make a hole for the elastic. Measure out the elastic on the little ones head snug and tie on.
Your not gonna believe it but..... YOUR DONE !!!
You have made a SUPERHERO mask!
Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment