Tuesday, June 19, 2012

D-I-Y Superhero Capes

D-I-Y Superhero Cape


These little gems were wayyyyyyyyyyy easier than I ever imagined they would be! With the price of these thing online I thought Oh good Lord what am I doing ???  They were 80% less than if I would have bought them & If I had just a little extra time I would have trial & error'd my way to perfection, but sice it was just for a small birthday party & im budgeted I kept the error'd ones and used them anyway. LUCKY for you guys you will get all my pointers to keep from making the same errors. Even with a sick 5 Month old baby this only took me a couple hours to do all 13 I made not to shabby, eh? Well lets get to it ! You can also do a NO SEW version as well ! 
~Supplies Needed~
1. Material of your choice
2. Thread to match
3. Sewing Machine
4. Felt sheets
5. Scissors
6. Marker or Fabric Pen
7. Measuring Tape 
8. Velcro
9. A few kid free hours LOL

Ok to start off I made a template, I started by making the babies few first they were smaller & if I messed up it wouldn't be too much fabric to trash ! I used one of the baby's bibs to create the template for the cape... a backwards bib is a cape after all LOL! I folded the bib in half and drew that on a piece of paper, then cut it out . I drew the older kids from the same template I just drew out the tails a little longer & the bottom a little wider.

~Draw & Cut Out Template~
The next step is to measure the children that you can to get an accurate measurment on how long it needs to be. I wanted their capes to be at the butt on length so they wouldn't get tripped up while playing at the party. I measured both of my sons & my nephew to get an idea i based all the capes off of them cuz naturally I don't have access to all the children coming to the party. After measuring I took my material and left it folded like it came which was long ways. I began tracing around the template and tracing the measued area.
~Copy Template & Measured area ~
~Should Look Like This When Done~
**** If doing a NO SEW version I would use a fleece or felt and cut that, I would use the thicker material so you only have one layer of fabric. ****
Next step take the scissors and cut out the template you just drew,  
Trace & cut both colors of the fabric the same size to prepare for sewing.
Should look like this when cut and opened ...
Take and sew the two layers or two colors together with a simple stitch, leaving a gap so you can turn it inside out. Flip the cape inside out tucking the gap material down and begin sewing the seam stitch around the edges. I choose a zig zag stitch for looks. Unfortunately I got real into sewing and forgot to take pictures :(.
Next I got printed out a superman symbol from google, cut it out to use as a template for the felt.
I took the traced & cut the diamond shape on the under color felt. I then traced the same shape onto the top felt, I then printed the letters I needed from Microsoft Word on size 350 cut them out and traced them inside the shape of the top felt. I then got ready to sew them on !
**** THIS is where I made my mistakes !!! The felt moves & bubbles up if you DON'T pin it down and sew VERY SLOWLY !!!
Then just dot onsome velcro to the ends & VIOLA!!!
The finished cape should look like this !
* See how the A one is a lil bit crooked cuz I didn't pin it and go slow :(
These are pretty neat I am going to make a really cool one for his birthday gift I will post the picture when Im done you may want to wait on making one until then for a great idea :)
Isn't he the cutest model ever ?!?!?
P.S. This would be a phenomenal idea for newborn pictures also ! Or a great gift for a photographer as a prop !!
I hope you enjoyed the tutorial and if you have an questions feel free to post them :)

1 comment: