Sunday, June 10, 2012

Cost & Savings Section

Cost and Savings


I wanted to keep up with how much I spent doing this project and how much I would have spent buying it all. I just wanted to truely know Is it worth the effort & cheaper to do a  DIY  Birthday party?  So I figure if I have that question there must be at least 1 other Mom out there with the same question LOL, of course the time management may be a factor too so I think I will add that in as well.(Please remember I have a 4 month old in my lap most of the time so time may actually be less) I actually only have 13 days to get this done & Im on a strict tight budget with birthdays, as always. Just so happens in the month of June the stork decided to bless this world with: my mother, myself, my bestie , 2 of my 3 kids & my nephew. You will learn I am not the frugalist of people I love to shop and over spend BUT I do like to budget myself when needed, well kinda :). Please remember I am Pricing the Items on the would have bought list with the exact things I am making.
Guest list was 10 Kids.     

DIY Printables  
Ink............................. $30.00 (costs vary on printer)                          
Paper .........................$8.00
Cardboard...................FREE
Glue............................$0.30
____________________________
Total...........................$38.30
This covered making Decorations (food&house), Table Cards, Invitations, Water Bottle & Soda Labels, & Stickers.
Time Spent to Make: Approx. 2 Hours 

Bought Printables
Invitations ................$13.00 
Decoration Printables (Food&House) ............. $53.50
Water Bottle &Soda Labels ....................$38.78
Stickers..................$7.00 
Shipping & Handling.......$20.00
____________________________
Total.....................$ 132.28
Time Spent Ordering : 30 Mins.
Time Spent Waiting to get Order : 7-14 Days

SAVINGS .............$ 93.98  (and 7 -14 Days that I didn't have)
I was doing the tootsie roll dance as I just realized how much I had saved .... Yes ! I am so cool :p


DIY Masks

Felt Sheets ...............$4.60
Elastic ......................$0.54
Thread......................$1.18
________________________
Total .........................$6.32
Time Spent to Make: 1.5 Hours

Bought Masks

Now these were the exact ones I made that I found on etsy.com
10 Masks .................$47.50
Shipping ..................$5.00
_______________________
Total ........................$52.50
Time to Order: 45 Mins ( I was looking for cheaper ones)
Time for Shipping: 7-10 Days

SAVINGS ................$46.18 (AND 7 -10 DAYS)
HOLY COW! I was just amazed at the price people put on these things they are just felt !



DIY Capes

Material..........$22.47
Thread............$ 4.36
Felt.................$ 2.60
_________________________
Total ...............$29.43
Time Spent Making : 2 Hours

Bought Capes

Capes........$150.00
Shipping ..$ 10.00
______________________
Total ..........$160.00
Time Spent Ordering: 20 Mins
Time to get Order: 7-10 Days

SAVINGS..................$130.57(and 7-10 Days)
And I was amazed at the price of the masks .....This is just unbelieveable !!!

Food & Cake
All these things were made by me :) and we had alot of fun the kids & I made them together !
We made :
Super Oreoes (24)                    $4.22
Bag of Oreoes
White chocolate candy covering ... I used almond bark
Red & Blue icing for decoration

Captain America Rice Krispies (16)            $3.67
I bought a box of rice krispy treats out of time crunch
White chocolate candy covering
Red & Blue sugar
Short shishkabob sticks

Cake         $ 22.55
3 White cake mixes
1 Chocolate Cake mix
Food Coloring
Fondant (or icing if you choose)
This cake only took me 45 mins to decorate & that was using fondant for the first time :)

I also bought chips, capri-suns, hot dogs, & burgers. the total for this was $45.87.
so in all the food cost me a grand total of ....... $76.41!

Bought food & Cake
Super Oreos (a dozen)  ......... $ 36.00
Decorated Rice Krispie Treats (DZ)..........27.00
THE CAKE ...................$120.00
Plus I would have had to still purchase the food at 45.87...

Total on the bought stuff ....................$228.87

Savings ..................................$152.46
HOLY MOLY !!!!! Its the cake that does you in if you want an actual fondant cake it will cost you !

 Other Decorations & such I purchased at the dollar store and they only cost me $ 22.00 and the kids had a blast making them :) I do not have any idea on how much they would have cost to have them made.

So all in all ................

D.I.Y Party was ....................................................$172.46
Buy-It-Yourself Party ...........................................$573.65
___________________________________________________
For a Grand SAVINGS of ....................................$401.19


So as I have found out the DIY party was sooooo worth doing and saved me a bundle ... plus I got in some valuable family time that I wouldnt have been able to allowing others to make for me !




No comments:

Post a Comment